The Ogmore Vale Coal Washeries
The former coal washery is located on the site of the Rhondda Main colliery in Ogmore Vale which closed in 1924. In 1959 the National Coal Board built a coal washery on the site to process the coal produced by collieries in the Ogmore and Garw valleys. Less than twenty years later, the UK coal industry went into a rapid decline. Ogmore Vale Central Washery closed on 10th June 1986, after just twenty-seven years of operation.
Bridgend County Borough Council acquired the site 1997. By that time the three mine entries had been sealed and capped, but the site had become overgrown and parts of it were unsafe.
Today nature is reclaiming the site and it is hoped that in time it will become a valuable recreational area for the residents and visitors of the Ogmore Valley.
The interpretation panel was commissioned by the Bridgend Council and Ogmore Valley Community Council.